There were nothing sweeter for every Keris Conlay players and fans on Saturday. The frustration from last year’s final was finally turned into joy as the team beat Cobra 18-11 to clinch the prestigious Malaysia Rugby Super League title. However, the joy did not come easily for Keris Conlay in the toughest match of the season.

Keris Conlay got a good start with a first minute try by Jone Marawa Nasalo. And Mohd Fairuz Abd Rahman did not waste the chance with his conversion.

Cobra played brilliantly to stop the flying Keris from making more tries. They got a try after the half hour mark through Mohammad Amin Jamaluddin but failed to convert the score. Then Cobra was awarded a penalty in the 40th minute, and Sae Faalupega delivered a slim 8-7 lead over Keris Conlay at half time.

The match resumed in the rain at the UKM Rugby Stadium. Match officials had to stop match after ten minutes due to lightning. After the weather turned better, both teams were back on the field to finish the last thirty minutes on the season.

Keris Conlay were quick to get a penalty and Mohd Fairuz sent it through to take over the lead. Fielded by many experienced players, Cobra were back in control when Sae Faalupega scored another penalty.

Keris Conlay threw everything to turn over the score again. They were awarded another penalty inside the last ten minutes and Mohd Fairuz sent them closer to the title. Cobra had finally lost their control over the never say die Conlay players.

Muhammad Faridzal Ismail accelerated in the final minute of the match to a try which takes the score beyond Cobra’s reach. And Mohd Fairuz once again displayed another perfect performance by converting the final score. Keris Conlay finally clinched the title in somehow a perfect season for them. Team captain, Mohd Fairuz was also named man of the match for delivering many crucial points in the match. But the most importantly, Keris Conlay got a team with perfect attitude.

Photos by: Fadzil Hisham | Tigers Super Sports

Not enough RUGBY??? Click HERE!